piazza dell’Accademia di San Luca, 77
Located in the beautiful Palazzo Carpegna, enlarged by Francesco Borromini, it houses a collection of contemporary art, the Historical Archives, the Romana Sarti Library and the Gallery, dedicated to painting.
Known to one and all for its picturesque views and enchanting atmosphere, also widely portrayed in international literature and painting, the Appia Antica Way is witness to the ages with its illustrious monuments.
CUMULATIVE TICKET: Mausoleo di Cecilia Metella e Castrum Caetani + Terme di Caracalla + Villa dei Quintili.
via Appia Antica, 161
The most impressive funeral monument built along the third mile of the Appia Antica, of which it has become symbolic,was erected on a hill to commemorate the Roman noblewoman who was by birth and marriage connected to two of the most distinguished Roman families of the late Republican age.
viale Terme di Caracalla, 52
Among the most imposing and fascinating complexes of ancient Rome, Terme di Caracalla are still impressive today owing to their extensive walls whose ruins are often still considerably high.
via Appia Nuova, 1092
The largest villa of Roman suburbs overlooked the countryside with its cryptoporticus, lavatories, and small terraced baths, thereby creating a spectacular scenery that has been partly brought to light today.
This archaeological area is the heart of the ancient city. Here you may admire an impressive stratification of historical and artistic memories testifying to the life and development of ancient Rome. At the Colosseum a reserved turnstile is available for RomaPass holders to get direct access to the monument.
CUMULATIVE TICKET: (Anfiteatro Flavio) Colosseo + Palatino + Foro Romano.
piazza del Colosseo
Built at the site of Nero's lake below his extensive palace the Domus Aurea, and completed by Titus in AD 80, l'Anfiteatro Falvio was the largest arena of the ancient world used by the Romans for gladiatorial combats, and other spectacles until the 6th century.
via di S. Gregorio, 30
piazza del Colosseo (via Sacra)
largo Salara Vecchia
clivo Argentario, 1 (only entrance without ticket-office: to collect free or discounted tickets please choice one of the others in the list)
This section of the Roman forum mark the founding of Rome in the 8th century BC, and later housed Augustus Caesar's official government centres. The museum offers a wide and unique spectrum of artefacts found on the Hill.
piazzale del Museo Borghese, 5
Also known as the "queen of all private collections in the world", the art collection housed by the Galleria Borghese, started by Cardinal Scipione in the seventeenth century, exhibits masterpieces from Titian, Bernini, Correggio, Caravaggio and Canova.
Booking required, calling the number +39 06 32810 (Call Center open Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm – Saturdays, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm)
The Galleria at “Via Francesco Crispi”, built in 1925 and temporarily closed from 2003, is being reopened with its important collection of modern art that offers a detailed picture of art and culture in Rome from the last quarter to the nineteenth until after World War II, through a rich exhibition of paintings, sculptures and graphic arts.
via delle Quattro Fontane, 13
The Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica in Palazzo Barberini exhibits paintings and other objects d'art from private collections dating from the 12th and 18th centuries (Torlonia, Barberini, Sciarra, Chigi), as well as acquisitions and bequests.
via della Lungara, 10
The Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica in Palazzo Corsini exhibits paintings dating from the 14th to the 18th centuries, housing in particular seventeenth- and eighteenth-century artists, ancient and modern sculptures, small bronzes and eighteenth-century furniture, thus providing a thorough representation of the Roman, Neapolitan and Bolognese schools of the "Seicento".
Vicolo del Polverone, 15/b
Started by Cardinal Bernardino, this small but important art collection still recalls the 17th century aristocratic collections, whose paintings were accurately ordered with a view to enhancing their decorative value.
viale delle Belle Arti, 131
Located in the historical building of Fine Arts (1908-11), the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna is one of the most important Italian museums dedicated to 19th and 20th century artists.
Two rooms are temporarily closed for museological upgrading work.
via Nizza, 138
Located in a former factory, the MACRO exhibits works of Italian artists from the 1960s to this day. The works to complete the museum are currently under way.
via Guido Reni 4/a
MAXXI - National Museum of XXI Century Arts is the first Italian institution dedicated to contemporary creativity. It is managed by the Maxxi Foundation and houses two museums: MAXXI Art and MAXXI Architecture.
A laboratory for cultural experimentation and innovation, MAXXI hosts exhibitions, workshops, conferences, shows, projections, and educational projects.
The MAXXI building is a major architectural work designed by Zaha Hadid, opened in 2010 and located in Rome’s Flaminio district (between the Tiber and the Via Flaminia ), not far from Renzo Piano’s Auditorium.
Via IV Novembre 94
Mercati e Foro di Traiano is the modern name for a large set of buildings erected at the beginning of the 2nd century AD on the slopes of the Quirinal Hill. Guided tours will allow you to visit a real quarter of Imperial Rome whose state of preservation is still impressive.
piazza del Campidoglio, 1
The most ancient public museum in the world; it houses a considerable quantity of archaeological examples in addition to a significant collection of mediaeval and modern works. Recently, a large glass-walled room was built out of the covering of the Roman Garden to exhibit the original of the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, previously located in Piazza del Campidoglio.
via Ostiense, 106
Opened in 1912, the Centrale Montemartini changed completely the water and power supply system of Rome. To date, this art centre displays Greek and Roman statues and sculptures among the remains of the old engines.
viale Fiorello La Guardia
Turned into a museum after extensive restoration, the Museo Carlo Bilotti Aranciera's collection, an Italian-American entrepreneur and well-renowned collector, displaying paintings, sculptures and drawings, including several works from De Chirico.
via Ulisse Aldrovandi,18
Animal diversity represented by artificial scenarios: from the driest desert to the lush coral reef. A multimedia andmulti-sense journey through precious historical collections of animals from all over theworld, including three specimens of extinct species.
lungotevere in Augusta
Housed in the first museum complex built in Rome after the collapse of the Fascist regime, the Ara Pacis represents one of the most impressive examples of classical art.
piazza G. Agnelli, 10
The Museo della Civiltà Romana houses collections consisting of a large number of reproductions, plaster casts, and maquettes of famous Roman monuments, temples, amphitheatres, and public works from the birth of Rome to Christian times.
The museum is temporarily closed for renovations.
largo di Porta San Pancrazio
Through historical documents, works of art, media and educational resources, the exhibition path evokes the history, the places and the leading personalities of the Roman Republic, a fundamental moment of the Italian Risorgimento.
via di Porta S. Sebastiano, 18
Located inside former "Porta Appia", known today as "Porta S. Sebastiano", the Museo delle Mura displays one of the most captivating expanses of the Aurelian walls erected at the end of the 3rd century AD, thus illustrating the story of these ancient fortifications.
Viale Egidio Galvani, incrocio via Ciciliano
The archeological site of Casal de’ Pazzi was discovered in 1981 during some development works in Rebibbia, today a densely populated area of Rome. The discovery of a large elephant tusk gave way to an archaeological investigation that brought to light a section of an ancient river bed. More than 2000 faunal remains were found in the deposit , belonging to species that one cannot imagine in today’s Rome countryside such as ancient elephants, the aurochs, the hippopotamus, and the rhinoceros.
FREE ADMISSION Booking required, calling the number +39 060608
piazza Navona 2 – piazza San Pantaleo 10
The Museum of Rome, which is located in Palazzo Braschi, houses in its halls and its deposits a variety of collections related to the history of the city. It hosts artworks that witness the topographic transformations and various aspects of cultural, social and artistic history of Rome from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century.
Please Note: Due to maintenance works, from August 30th, the Museo di Roma is not available for visits. It is possible to visit only the exhibitions still outstanding at the special price of € 4,00 full, € 3,00 reduced. For this reason, please, save free entrances included in the Roma Pass card in another museum/archeological site and for the exhibitions buy a reduced ticket, if you want to visit it.
piazza S. Egidio, 1/B
Housed in former St. Giles' monastery, the Museo di Roma in Trastevere gathers various collections documenting everyday life in Rome between the 18th and the 19th century (paintings, watercolours, prints and drawings).
corso Vittorio Emanuele, 166/A
Housed in the "Farnesina ai Baullari" (the Farnese Palace in the street of the trunk makers), which was built in 1516 to a design of Antonio da Sangallo the young, the Museo di Scultura Antica Giovanni Barracco houses a prestigious collection of antique sculpture - art from Assyria, Egypt, Cyprus, Phoenicia, Etruria, Greece and Rome.
piazza di Ponte Umberto I, 1
In 1927 Count Giuseppe Primoli, son of Pietro Primoli and Carlotta Bonaparte, donated to the city of Rome his collection of memorabilia. The collections recall the Napoleonic era, the so-called "Roman" period and the second Empire.
via Merulana, 248
The Museo Nazionale d'Arte Orientalewas opened in 1957 as a result of an agreement between the Italian Government and the Italian Institute for the Middle and the Far East.The museum gathers archaeologic material from various archaeological missions in Asia.
piazza S. Croce in Gerusalemme, 9/A
The Museo Nazionale degli Strumenti Musicali gathers inique examples of musical instruments belonging to the ancient world till the 18th century, including the well-known "Barberini harp", some instruments belonging to Benedetto Marcello and the pianoforte invented and built by Bartolomeo Cristofori.
viale A. Lincoln, 3
Opened in 1967 at the "Palazzo delle Scienze" in Eur quarter with a view to building an archaeology museum of the post-classical age, the Museo Nazionale dell'Alto Medioevo houses material from Rome and central Italy dating from the 4th to the 16th century.
piazza G. Marconi, 8-10
The Museo Nazionale delle Arti e Tradizioni Popolari intends to provide documents and information on the folk traditions of various regions of Italy. The collections include regional costumes, jewels and some 5,000 pieces of pottery.
lungotevere Castello, 50
Originally intended as a mausoleum by the Emperor Hadrian (130-139 AD), Castel Sant'Angelo became, in later centuries, the bastion of the Papal State. It is now possible to visit the various rooms decorated with frescoes, the prison, the collection of antique weapons, the picture gallery and the Papal apartments.
At Castel Sant’Angelo a reserved turnstile is available for RomaPass holders to get direct access to the monument.
via del Plebiscito, 118
The Museo Nazionale di Palazzo di Venezia is housed in the grand building once residence of the Venetian pope Paul II Barbo (1464-1471), an art lover and collector and "moral" initiator of the future development of this museum. Established in 1921, the National Museum has acquired year after year its status as an important museum of decorative arts.
piazzale di Villa Giulia, 9
Housed in the beautiful Villa Giulia, built in the 16th century for Pope Julius III, the Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia is one of the most important in Italy and is organised in topographic and thematic sections.
piazza G. Marconi, 14
Named after its founder, the palaeontologist Luigi Pigorini, the Museo Nazionale Preistorico ed Etnografico "Luigi Pigorini" houses the most important Italian collection of prehistoric material and is among the first museums in the world for its non-European ethnographic collections.
The Museo Nazionale Romano houses one of the most important archaeology collections in the world. The items are divided into four different sites: the Crypta Balbi, Palazzo Altemps, Palazzo Massimo, and the aggregate of the Terme di Diocleziano.
CUMULATIVE TICKET: Crypta Balbi, Palazzo Altemps, Palazzo Massimo, Terme di Diocleziano.
via delle Botteghe Oscure, 31
The excavations carried out in the Crypta Balbi revealed the various transformations and utilizations of the place which followed one another from ancient times through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance up to the Modern Age. The Museum displays archaeological material from other excavation sites and historical collections of Roman museums.
piazza di S. Apollinare, 48
Palazzo Altemps houses the beautiful collection of ancient sculptures started by Cardinal Ludovisi in the 16th century and the antiquities belonging to the Altemps.
largo di Villa Peretti, 1
Palazzo Massimo was converted into the main site of the National Roman Museum, illustrating at best the artistic culture in Rome from Silla to the Imperial age.
via E. De Nicola, 79
The Terme di Diocleziano are the historical headquarters of the National Museum of Rome, housing a large epigraphic section illustrating the birth and development of Latin.
viale Pietro Canonica, 2 (piazza di Siena)
Former hen house dating from the 17th century, in 1927 this building became the house of the sculptor Pietro Canonica, who undertook in return to donate his works to the city of Rome. Opened in 1961, the Museo Pietro Canonica displays studies, drawings, mock-ups, originals and replicas.
Villa Torlonia, the latest of Rome’s stately gardens, still retains a special charm due to the originality of its English landscape garden, one of the few examples in Rome, and the wide and unexpected variety of art, buildings and furniture scattered throughout the park between the 1802 and 1806 by Giuseppe Valadier.
via Nomentana, 70
Situated in Villa Torlonia's Park, the Museo della Casina delle Civette has among its distinctive feature the stained-glass elements, made between 1910 and 1925 by Cesare Picchiarini along the lines of the beautiful drawings from Duilio Cambellotti, Umberto Bottazzi and Paolo Paschetto, thus testifying to the high quality reached by the stained-glass art in Rome.
via Nomentana, 70
Located in the Villa,which was the home of the Torlonia Family first and Benito Mussolini afterwards (from 1925 to 1943), this restored building hosts the Museo della Villa, featuring period sculptures and furnishings, and the Museo della Scuola Romana, well-known for the paintings and drawings of the artists belonging to that school.
Via Foro Traiano 85
Seat of Rome Provincial Authorities since 1873, this building dates from the end of the sixteenth century and was subsequently enhanced by an extraordinary campaign of archaeological excavations whereby two big sculptures and two patrician villas, dating to the third-forth century and the second century respectively, were brought back to light.
Open daily, 9:30 am to 8:00 pm, last admission 6:30 pm – closed on Tuesdays, December 25, January 1, May 1.
piazza G. Agnelli, 10
On the great dome-screen of the Planetario, images of stars, constellations, nebulae and galaxies follow one upon the other in addition to spectacular static and dynamic pictures enhanced by 3-D technology and all-sky resolution and sound.
The museum is temporarily closed for renovations.
Shows and activities continue at Planetario gonfiabile at Technotown in Villa Torlonia.
viale dei Romagnoli, 717 (Ostia Antica)
The wide area of the excavations overlooks the "Tiber River Gate", connecting Rome to the sea. The ancient city testifies to the imposing Roman buildings and reaffirm the commercial and economic importance of the ancient capital of the world.
Via Appia Antica, 153
The archaeological complex, which extends between the second and third mile the Appian Way, consists of three principal constructions: the Palace, the Roman Circus and the Dynastic Mausoleum. All were designed as an interlinked architectural unit to celebrate Emperor Maxentius, the vanquished adversary of Constantine the Great at the battle of the Milvian Bridge in 312 A.D.